There were only 23 to add, and of these I was able to identify 12 couples by either locating the marriage entry in the parish register or by using the census records.
I also looked on Family Search to see what marriages are recorded between 1837 and 1841 in England for STEERS. Here I found 10 marriages but I have not yet had chance to go to a Family History Centre to view the films and verify the information transcribed.
The marriages for which I have acquired the transcription but not verified the image are as follows;
- 09 February 1837 at Holy Trinity Church, Dorchester, Dorset - William HANSFORD to Nancy Hunt STEERS
- 14 February 1837 in Wycombe, Buckinghamshire - Samuel SPRING, widow to Sarah STEERS, spinster
- 22 June 1837 in Feltham, Middlesex - William STEERS to Sarah RUDD
- 04 November 1839 in St. Botolph without Aldersgate, Middlesex - Stephen STEERS to Jane PAYNE
- 05 January 1840 in Byfleet, Surrey - William STEERS aged 23, father: John STEERS to Peggy HARDY aged 17, father: Jospeh HARDY
- 20 April 1840 at St. Paul, Deptford, Kent - John DEADMAN to Elizabeth STEARS
- 10 November 1840 in Alverstoke, Hampshire - William STEARS, father: William STEARS to Ann GORDOVE, father: John GORDOVE [There is also another entry on Family Search for the same parish and date for a William STEARS to Ann GOODEVE; I believe that GOODEVE is the correct transcription as shown by the GRO index]
- 02 February 1841 at St. Mary's Church, Broadwater, Sussex - George BUTLER, bachelor, father: George BUTLER to Sarah Jane STEERS, father: Edward STEERS
- 16 November 1841 at St. Andrew's Church, Auckland, Durham - William STEARS to Elizabeth CARREY
- 26 December 1841 in Petersham, Surrey - James STEERS to Mary Ann FIELD, spinster
The following 6 marriages I have verified via the certificates in the 'West Yorkshire, England, Marriages & Banns, 1813 - 1922', and 'London, England, Marriages & Banns, 1754 - 1921' both of which are accessible via an Ancestry subscription.
- 05 August 1838 at All Souls Church, Marylebone, Middlesex after Banns - James HUDSON, aged 52, widow, occupation: porter, abode: All Souls district, father: John HUDSON, occupation: Housedresser to Eliza STEARS, aged 37, widow, abode: All Souls district, father: Henry POPE, occupation Jeweller
- 10 September 1838 at St. Mary, Lambeth, Surrey after Banns - John LADD of full age, bachelor, occupation: gardener, abode: Devonshire Street, father: Levi LADD, occupation: labourer to Jane STEERS of full age, widow, abode: Devonshire Street, father: James LICH
- 14 February 1838 at Christ Church, Marylebone, Middlesex after Banns - William STEERS of full age, bachelor, occupation: servant, abode: Burton Mews, father: James STEERS, occupation: servant to Mary DEAR of full age, spinster, abode: Burton Street, father: William DEAR (deceased)
- 09 September 1839 at Christ Church, Marylebone, Middlesex after Banns - James STEERS of full age, bachelor, occupation: servant, abode: 10 Upper Seymour Street, father: James STEERS, occupation: servant to Maria SCOTT of full age, spinster, abode: 10 Upper Seymour Street, father: William SCOTT (deceased)
- 10 May 1840 at St. Peter's Church, Leeds, Yorkshire after Banns - William STEARS, a minor, bachelor, occupation: Clothesdresser, abode: New Road End, father: Joseph STEARS, occupation Man Servant to Elizabeth SHAW of full age, spinster, abode: Back Park Street, father: James SHAW, occupation: Clothier
- 01 January 1840 at St. Saviour's Church, Southwark, Surrey - Thomas STEDMAN of full age, bachelor, occupation: Coachman, abode: Croydon, father: William STEDMAN, occupation: labourer to Ann Elizabeth Blake STEERS, a minor, spinster, abode: Croydon, father: James BLAKE, occupation: Labourer
If any of these appear in your family I and you would like a copy of the marriage entry from the parish register please feel free to get in touch.
Finally to all my readers, have a
Happy Christmas and a brick-wall busting 2012.